This morning I realized I am lagging far behind in my grocery shopping. No veggies in the fridge! Not even tomatoes!
The potato basket was full, thank heavens! Quickly whipped up this super quick potato curry with a yogurt sauce- ‘dahi ke aloo’ as we call them.
This is a simple curry with just two ingredients- potatoes and yogurt. The dry spices are nearly always available in the pantry.It goes beautifully with roti, paratha,poori or rice.
Potatoes- 4-5 medium, boiled and cubed
Yogurt/curd/dahi- 1 cup, at room temperature
Asafoetida/ heeng- ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds/jeera- ½ tsp
Salt- 1 tsp (adjust to taste)
Red chili powder/lal mirch- ¼ – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder/haldi- ¼ tsp
Coriander powder/dhaniya powder- ½ tsp
Finely chopped green chili- 2
Oil- 1 Tbsp
- Boil the potatoes, peel and cube them.
- Take the yogurt and mix in the salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. Whisk it well.
- Heat the oil and add the asafetida and cumin.
- Add the chopped green chilly.Stir.
- Add in the yogurt-spice mix and stir continuously till it gets to a boil. It is very important to stir continuously to ensure that the yogurt does not split.
- Add the cubed potatoes and mix well so that the spices coat the potatoes.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Done! Add chopped coriander and serve hot.
- This is a curry with thin gravy. In case you like a thicker consistency, adjust the amount of water accordingly
- Ensure that the yogurt is at room temperature to avoid the yogurt mass and the water separating
- In case apprehensive about the yogurt splitting, add a teaspoon to the yogurt and spice mixture and then proceed.
12 thoughts on “Dahi ke aloo/Potato curry in a yogurt based sauce”
Lip smackingly delicious. …and very simple to cook
Thank you so much Priya 🙂 and so sweet of you to visit here 🙂
for family wid two members…its a HIT…fatafat and mazedaar…thnku 🙂
Firdaus thanks a lot :-). Ekdum fatafat with minimum ingredients 🙂 I call it my saviour in distress sabzi 😉
Nothing to beat a simple and heart warming aloo Ki sabzi
Thanks Sonal..thought I’d share some simple ghar ka khaana. But the sweets are never far away 😉
So comforting G xx
Hubs has a big bowl just like soup ..thanks D ❤
My husband is like that with any type of daal x